Pamper your pooch after a long day of traveling.
If you plan on traveling this summer, it may make sense to bring your dog along with you. Doing so allows for greater freedom as you don’t need to worry about what is going on at home with your pet and his or her caregiver. Instead, you can opt to do activities that are dog-friendly and create memories together with your furry friend.
Like humans, canines require certain items to stay healthy, happy and comfortable while traveling. Packing what your pet needs can help you ensure that they have an easier time being away from home with you. Create a checklist for packed items to make sure nothing is left behind.
Some travel essentials for small dog breeds are listed below.
- A leash and a harness. You’ll need to be able to take your dog out so he or she can do their business outdoors. A leash and harness make it possible for you to walk your pet, too. It’s a great way to get a breath of fresh air, a few extra steps logged on the fitness tracker, and meet people in the city you’ve traveled to.
- A pet carrier or crate for small dog breeds. Some dogs travel well, while others seem spooked by the movement. You can ease their fears by putting them in a pet carrier or crate. Allow them to grow used to the containment device by leaving the door open at home and letting them explore the inside of it.
- A dog bed. Your pup will have their own place to sleep in an unfamiliar room or home. It’s very comforting to have something from home to cuddle up in after a long day of flying or riding in a car.
- Bowls for food and water. Stainless steel is the easiest to clean as well as the most durable. Bowls made from this material are also lightweight, making them a must-have for traveling.
- Food and treats. Make sure that your pet has the proper nourishment to sustain his or her body. If your dog takes medication, put it in a carry-on bag so it doesn’t get lost mid-flight. Even if you choose to drive, it’s important to have the dog’s meds nearby, so you don’t miss giving them a dose. The Petrics Health and Nutrition app lets you set reminders so you always remember when it’s time to give meds to your pup.
- Shampoo, detangler and a comb. Like you, your pet will need to freshen up after long days of exploring the surrounding area. Bring along hygiene items as well as a comb or brush to help remove excess fur and untangle snarls.
Make traveling second nature for your pet by helping them to be as comfortable as possible while away from home. Pack all of their travel essentials so you’re not stuck doing without or making do with something that isn’t a satisfactory replacement for the item you left behind. Setting up reminders to keep your pet on a feeding or medication schedule especially when traveling to a different time zone is helpful. It prevents you from feeding or administering meds at the wrong hour of the day.